We've Moved


We've Moved!

Dave Donelson Tee To Green has an exciting new home at
Westchester Magazine.

We're still about all things golf, especially those pertinent to golfers in Westchester and the NY Metro, but now we're in a much bigger space!

Please visit our new home at



Sunday, May 18, 2014

Touch of Class from Ryan McCormick

Here's an open letter to his fans from a class guy--and a golfer with a great future ahead of him.

Ryan McCormick at Big East Championship
photo by Stephen Morton
courtesy of Big East
Hey all,

I wanted to thank you for your continued support of our program now and throughout my four years at St. John's. Everybody who is on this email list has shown support for our program in some way and I wanted to let you all know how much I have truly appreciated that.

I have been asked many times if I would have gone to a different school if I could have gone back and done it over again. Like most people who go through college and especially those who have competed in a sport, there were times where I doubted whether I was at the right place. After finishing my final collegiate round and my last final, I can truthfully say that I went to the right place and I would do it all over again here at St. John's. The St. John's "family", as I refer to it, all the people who are associated with our program, is something that is truly unique. I have never been apart of a group like this in my life that genuinely cares and looks out for each other. I also can't tell you the amount of people we have met or come across on the road that have had a connection with St. Johns.

The experiences that I have had as a Johnnie playing for this program have been magnificent. I have had the opportunity to travel and play golf in different places and at the finest courses that I never dreamed that I would have played four years ago. There have been countless memories with great guys and teammates who are still my friends. I will never forget some of the trips and practices we had together.

I have also had many people help me the past few years but two people deserve recognition. Mike Diffley and my coach Frank Darby. Mike and I have been working together for three years and I am so fortunate to have help from one of the smartest and kindest men I have known. Mike is not only a teacher to me, but also a great friend. Coach Darby has always been supportive throughout my four years and I credit him for allowing me to grow as a player and a person. He allowed me to do what I thought I needed to do get better, and although sometimes he didn't agree with it, he was always supportive and I thank him for that.

I have many great stories as do most of you who are associated with St. John's golf, however I would like to include how I came to St. John's. My father got a call from Coach Darby during my junior year of high school and told him that he could offer me a full scholarship. When my dad came home to tell me I laughed and thought, "I'll never go there, why would I want to stay in the northeast and play for that team, they suck!" At the time I was a hotshot junior who thought I was better than I was. I came to realize that they didn't suck and that the northeast was where I called home. I knew that St. John's was the place for me after meeting the team and Coach Darby.

I am so happy to have spent my last four years here at St. John's.

Thank you for all your past and future support.

I will be continuing my playing career as a professional and have earned exempt status for PGA Tour Canada this summer. I hope to join Keegan and Andrew soon on the PGA Tour.


Sincerely,
Ryan McCormick '14

Among many other books, Dave Donelson is the author of Weird Golf: 18 tales of fantastic, horrific, scientifically impossible, and morally reprehensible golf

No comments: